From 2017 till march 2018 I used to wake up at 4:00 in the morning and it was the most amazing thing I’ve ever done in my life! Well the question is why did I start doing it in the first place..
I would first put it out there that I am very easily influenced but in a positive way (most of the time). That basically means I get very easily motivated and keep on trying new things which are good for me. So one day scrolling through a lot of ted talks I came across one in which it said – ‘How waking up at 4:30 everyday can change your life’ and I told myself that in-fact I do need to change my life —- ((I still feel like I need to change my life but I have just accepted the fact that I’m never ever going to be satisfied until I reach the stage of a yogi meditating in the Himalayas 🙂 ))
So I did my extra research work and realised that most successful people wake up really very early and because I also want to be successful I set 10 alarms for the next day from 3:50 am to 4:10 am. The first few days were so difficult – because if you want to change your sleep cycle you either have to sleep early which is tough because you stare at the wall for hours or you force yourself to wake up early which is also really hard because most of the time you sleep through the alarm. Eventually I got used to it and then it felt just so good.
I will now tell you some of the benefits of waking up during that ungodly hour :-
- Your mom will be proud of you :- Most mothers like nothing more than seeing their son or daughter all dressed and ready to eat before the help comes to clean the whole house. No need to scream at them every 5 minutes and no need to switch off the fan. I have also noticed that if you want your day to go smoothly, don’t piss off your mom in the morning #jaimatadi 🙂 🙂
- You can watch shows and no one will say you’re wasting time :- As I had my 12th last year, watching shows or anything for too long would result in my parents telling me how I am not “studying enough”/”wasting my time” etc. So one of my biggest motivation was that I can do nothing valuable and no one will know. It was the best thing ever!
- Makes you more productive :- Waking up early actually does make you more productive because firstly you feel indebted to do something beneficial because you have taken the pain to get up so early, and plus research shows that early mornings is the most productive time of the day as – 1) It’s very quiet indoors and outdoors. 2) Brain works more efficiently after having adequate rest. 3) You get ample time to reflect on your day and plan accordingly.
- Better mental health :- Research has shown that stress levels are low for people who wake up early. It usually puts you in a positive mood and eliminates the need to rush into doing thing.
- Breakfast! :- Breakfast is one meal that is skipped the most, even after being the most important meal, because usually everyone is rushing somewhere in the morning. As the body is fasting for 6-8 hours while sleeping, it requires healthy and nutritious food but the people who skip breakfast tend to binge on their lunch. Having breakfast on time fuels the body and also helps in maintaining a sound mental health.
Apart from all these, you get your “me” time where you can paint, draw, sing or do anything that you like. You can watch the sunrise which is so beautiful and so unique every single day and it makes you feel so calm #positivevibes. Waking up early is just a very good start to having an awesome day.
I would confess that these days my sleep cycle has become really, really bad but I am going to work again on getting up early – starting today…
How we spend our days is ultimately how we spend our lives.
Link to the Ted talk :- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNiPmTzo3cAhWMso8KHfLgAPUQtwIIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqOEB1Fr0_MM&usg=AOvVaw3X5DGLGdNNvQBQRMLQHJN2